11 sierpnia 2017


History of Kowary
The origin and the development of Kowary is connected to mining of iron and smithery. In 1148, on the slope of the Rudnik Mountain, miner from Walonnia called Laurentius Angelus discovered an iron ore and 10 years later at command of the contemporary duke of Poland Bolesław Kędzierzawy an exploitation of iron ores was started, a village was found, an iron began to be forged and many various iron tools began to be produced.
 In 1513 the contemporary king of Bohemy and Hungary Władysław Jagiellończyk, as the liege of świdnicko-jaworskie dukedom, issued a foundation act granting Kowary civic rights. In second half of XVI ct Kowary was also a famous centre of fire-arms manufacture while the local gunsmiths acquired a reputation of very skilled worksmen. One of their clients was the king of Poland Zygmunt August who ordered 2000 barrels for muskets. In the beginning of XVIIct Kowary were still prospering but later Thirty Years War (1618-1648) destroyed the town and decimated its people.
During this war the mines were flooded and they weren’t reopened ever later. The period of mining prosperity ended. After Thirty Years War the period of weaving development began. In 1747 as a result of Austrian-Prussian War Kowary together with whole Lower Silesia was joined to Prussia.
In XVIII and XIXct some efforts to renew mining activity were undertaken but they caused no meaningful effect. The town prospered mostly on weaving.
After the First World War for a very short period of time the exploitation of iron mines was being continued to satisfy demands of Reich war industry which was developing then. Also after Second World War the iron ore was being mined as well as, in top secret, an ore of uranium. Uranium ores were being exploited first of fall on the turn of 40s & 50s. After Second World War the town prospered mostly on activity of Industry Plants R1 which were related to uranium exploitation and also on textile industry producing flaxen linen and carpets which are still very famous.
To see how Kowary looked 80 and more years ago click our Retro Gallery or visit the German page. www.schlesierland.de. You will realize then that in spite of passage of time Kowary and Schmiedeberg are still the very same town.
Skip to content